Scarlett Johansson May Get The Plague

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

22 year old Scarlett Johansson is currently traveling through India and Sri Lanka, raising awareness about global poverty with international agency Oxfam. These pictures are from the Oxfam-funded Dalit school in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.

Said Scarlett, who is currently in India: “I met a young girl, Gudiya, at a school for Dalit children, a community considered to be the lowest class. She was an amazing, bright young girl, full of ambition and attending the fifth grade. When asked what she wanted to be when she grew up, she said ‘a government official’. Every morning she rises at three a.m. to study and then complete the household chores before walking for half an hour to school.”

This story reminds me of when I was in Fifth Grade and Cass Winthrop from "Another World" came to the Southland Mall to sign autographs. I told him that my daddy left us and my mother works 2 jobs. Cass patted my head, then quickly moved on, and it made me wish I had made up a better story - like my parents dying in a fire and me being an orphan. #@$%#!!

Source

Posted by Reese at 2/28/2007  
0 comments

Post a Comment